Frequently Asked Questions
Together We’re Strong! – Winter Term Jan 5 – Mar 16
Join us this Winter for a powerful 10 week term celebrating community, and the strength of joined voices. Weekly rehearsals are in SW, NE and SE (pick one) and the term ends with a Big Sing Mar 16th. Sign up here and sing your heart out.
SP! offers three weekly rehearsal locations to choose from (you choose the one that works for you when you register):
Evening rehearsals are held from 7-9 pm.
- Mondays 3030 SW 2nd Ave, Portland, OR 97201, Cedarwood School
- Tuesdays 5138 NE 23rd Ave, Portland, OR 97211, The Little Church
- Wednesdays 5915 SE Division Street, Portland, OR 97206, Bothmer Hall
- Weekly starting April 4th. Every second and fourth Thursday till then.
- 5915 SE Division Street // PDX
- We offer an ever-expanding variety of workshops and singing retreats.
Am I good enough to sing in your group?
Here’s a song that tells you what kind of choir we are… Check it out!
Ok, it may be a challenge for you to find the right pitch, to nail a rhythm, to stick to your own part while others are singing different notes, but those musical skills will all develop over time. Allow yourself to be carried by the group. As a novice or blossoming singer, have the guts to stand in the front row so you can ride on the musical waves that come from the singers behind you. All those elements of vocal skill will develop over time. My experience is that your beautiful voice will make itself known as soon as you acknowledge it is there. Trust and feel the support! Join us and be ready for a surprise!
Can I come and try out your choir before I sign up?
We also have open houses the first week of each term. Singers are very happy to welcome you and answer any questions you may have. They’ve been in your shoes and are great at taking away any insecurities you may have about singing. I’m always here for your questions as well.
How can I join?
You want to sing with us? Congratulations! You’re in! No questions asked. Simple as that. Click here and you’re done. That’s all it takes.
We highly recommend that you join Sing Portland! within the first three weeks of the beginning of a term. That way you have plenty of time to get comfortable with all our songs before our Singing Party at the end of the term. However, if you’re excited and committed to jump in a few weeks into the term, we ain’t gonna stop you. We’ll never tell you not (yet) to sing! Click that Register Now button!
Sing Portland! is an all inclusive choir. The 10 week terms are priced at $195, and we have a few scholarships available (request in writing) to accommodate your budget.
What's a Singing Party?
What’s the expected commitment?
What are we going to sing?
To give you a taste of what we sing, check out our YouTube channel with clips from Performances, Singing Parties and rehearsals.
Where are the sessions?
The sessions are from 7-9 pm, at:
- Cedarwood Waldorf School (music room), 3030 SW 2nd Avenue, PDX 97201 – Mondays
- The Little Church, 5138 NE 23rd Ave, PDX 97211 – Tuesdays
- Bothmer Hall, 5915 SE Division St. PDX 97206 – Wednesdays
The Monday and Wednesday rehearsal venues are wheelchair accessible.
Attending one rehearsal per week is enough to get you ready for public singing, performances and singing parties.
Summer schedule varies – see the events page.
What will the sessions look (sound) like?
What if I miss a session?
What are the various levels of membership?
There are additional discounts for signing up for 12 months. You will be given those options at the registration page.
If you’re not ready to commit to singing every week, the drop-in card may be the better solution for you. The card allows you to be a member without having to commit to weekly rehearsals. It’s a great way to participate if you know you’ll be absent during part of that term, or if you want to come every now and then just for the joy of singing, and don’t care about getting ready for a performance. The card allows you to enjoy 12 sessions spread out over a year, so you can come whenever your busy schedule allows, and you don’t have to feel obligated to attend each week.
How does the drop-in card work?
How much does it cost?
- A 10 week term costs $205.
- Drop-in card (DC) costs $275 for 12 sessions.
- You get a better deal if you sign up for a 12 month period.
- Annual membership includes the summer term, vocal improv and 10% discount to all workshops. It’s the same price whether you pay all at once, or monthly.
- Sing Portland! offers a limited number introductory offers for new singers, and a few work/trade options.
What else does choir membership offer?
- Rehearsals in a beautiful space and welcoming environment to explore your voice.
- Support from a warm and welcoming group of singers.
- Chance to make new friends.
- Opportunities to sing in public
- Singing for a better world – benefit concerts for non-profits. We donated $5000 to non profits in 2018.
- Visiting guest teachers.
- And then there are spontaneous adventures like going to sing-a-long-movies or karaoke night.
- There are also unique opportunities such as singing in Carnegie Hall (March 2019), a big community sing right here in Portland in November of 2019 with some 500 singers. In summer of 2020 twenty or so of us are going to Uganda to visit schools we’ve been raising funds for since the beginning of Sing Portland.
What's the SP! refund policy?
Not happy with Sing Portland? Let us know in writing and you will get a refund of the unused portion of the term minus a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds are given after a month after the first rehearsal of the term. There are no refunds for scholarships or virtual drop-in cards, yet the drop-in card is transferable so you may give unused sessions to a friend. All cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing.