Events & Classes
Harmonies of freedom, solidarity, joy and moving forward
Wednesday September 16, 2020 at 12 noon PDT.
50% of proceeds will be donated to Black Lives Matter
Free for current Sing Portland members. Included in your fall membership.
- Tuesday Sep 15 at 12 noon – Vocal Freedom adn Fearlessness – Register here
- Tuesday Sep 15 at 2 pm – Sing Your Heart Out – Register here
- Wednesday Sep 16 at 2 pm – Black Voices Matter – Register here
- Wednesday Sep 16 at 7 pm – Sing Your Heart Out – Register here
- Thursday Sep 17 at 7 pm – Find the Flow – Vocal Improv Skills for Life – Register here
- Friday Sep 18 at 12 noon – Pop PDX with Dan Cooper – Register here
FALL CLASSES (Sep 28 – Dec 11, 2020. No classes during week of Thanksgiving)
- Tuesdays at 12 noon – Vocal Freedom and Fearlessness
- Tuesdays at 2pm – Sing Your Heart Out
- Wednesdays at 12 noon – Sing Your Heart Out
- Wednesdays at 2 pm – Black Voices Matter
- Wednesdays at 7 pm – Sing Your Heart Out
- Thursdays at 7 pm – Find the Flow – Vocal Improv Skills for Life
- Fridays at 12 noon – Pop PDX with Dan Cooper
Times listed in US Pacific Time (Daylight Savings Time ends Nov 1)
- welcome all (no audition)
- use the oral teaching tradition (no sheet music)
- are 60 minutes long
- take place via zoom and require these audio settings
- include practice tracks so you can hear the harmonies
- include an assembly of your audio recordings so you can hear the choral sound
- welcome new participants in the first 2 weeks only (enrollment closes October 10, 2020)
- celebrate the end of term with a Virtual Singing Party (last class in week of December 7)
- include at least 50% of music by black, brown or indigenous composers/performers (we signed the Black Voices Matter pledge)
- are taught by Marion Van Namen (except Pop PDX which is taught by Dan Cooper)
- are small and foster community:
- Sing Your Heart Out and Pop PDX are limited to 20 participants (cost $195)
- Vocal Freedom and Vocal Improv are limited to 12 participants (cost $245)
- Sign up for any fall class here.
- Sing your Heart Out is a relaxed and joyful way of singing. The songs are not that hard to learn, and all are taught by ear. The lyrics are meaningful and uplifting. Repertoire: across the world, centuries and seasons. Any genre is game. You will leave the class with a smile on your face and you’ll find yourself singing the songs in between classes. We are very focused on bringing you an hour of pure joy. Every single week. We make sure you have an awesome experience singing each week. We are less focused on perfection and performance. Those last two are way overrated. You can submit audio recordings of songs you’ve learned so that we can put them together in a choral sound file. This class is offered on Tuesdays at 2 pm, Wednesdays 12 noon and Wednesdays at 7pm (pick one) PDT. Sign up here.
- Pop PDX is a class where you get to sing the songs you already know and love. Dan Cooper leads this class and he is a master teacher of the popular repertoire. You will learn all songs by ear (i.e. no sheet music), in 3 part harmony. You’ll learn a new song every week and will have a blast. The class includes practice tracks and you get to submit audio recordings of complet3ed songs which will be edited into the choral sound, so that you re truly singing with your classmates. Loads of fun with your favorite songs from the 70s, 80s 90s and 21st century. Fridays at 12 noon PDT. Sign up here.
- Vocal Freedom and Fearlessness is focused on liberating your voice. Whether you want to get more confidence in using your voice, expand your range, or explore less charted territories of your voice, this is the perfect class for you. We will use the Five Element framework from Barbara McAfee to explore and play with your voice. It’s a class with a lot of personal attention, and a lot of fun. Humor is such a great way to discover the unknown and mysterious corners of your voice. You will learn how to expand your vocal palette. This class is great for honing your singing or public speaking skills. This class is offered on Tuesdays at 2 pm PDT. Sign up here.
- Finding the Flow – Improv Skills for Life. What better playing ground for being in community than improvisation? How you do one thing is how you do everything, right? Well… you may get a few insights into yourself and how you navigate unexpected situations. Very useful skill these days! you will find music coming out of your mouth that you din’t even know lived inside of you. have fun with it!!! This is an hour packed with vocal play. we will explore themes like following and leading, form and freedom, getting attached to ideas and letting go, surrendering, being generous. All through making shit up. In the moment. Vocal improv is such a powerful reminder how easy it is to create beauty with strangers. In minutes. Vocal improv is a great teacher of knowing when to take charge and when to support someone else’s lead. Class size is limited to 12 participants so you will get a lot of individual attention, and opportunities to sing duets and trios (yes, one can trick zoom into transmitting sound of 3 participants at once). This class is offered on Thursdays at 7pm PDT. Sign up here.
- Black Voices Matter. Black Voices Matter is a pledge that Sing Portland signed in July of 2020 to show our support as a choir to our black, brown and indigenous (BBI) brothers and sisters. Since the pandemic and the murder of George Floyd we felt the urge to sing forward in a new more conscious way. We as a choir of mostly white privileged singers have lots of work to do! Dismantling white supremacy is a very personal journey requiring a lot of soul searching. Black Voices Matter is a free weekly gathering (not a class) to sing BBI music and to take action to dismantle white supremacy. It’s a 60- minute zoom session that starts and ends with a BBI song and in between we do anti-racist work. There will be plenty of suggestions for anti-racist work for you to choose from. Your work will mostly likely not be limited to the weekly hour. But you’ll be cheered on and supported by other singers to do this work in an ongoing manner. Any donations you make when signing up for this class, will be passed on to Black Lives Matter. This gathering takes place every Wednesday at 2 pm PDT. Sign up here.
- Vocal Improv FOR CHOIR LEADERS – a playshop led by Kay Bourgine, Beth Lyons and Marion Van Namen. Zoom gives so many opportunities to make choir rehearsals more interesting, surprising and fun. As singers are muted there is room for experimentation and play. Kay, Beth and Marion will share their tricks of the trade. All three lead vocal improv classes in Paris, France, Washington, DC and Portland, OR respectively. Each month they come together to share their exercises with you, so you can bring more playfulness to your zoom singing events. The Playshops take place on the 2nd Monday of the month at 12 noon PDT, 3pm EDT, 20 hours WET (UK), 21:00 hours CET (France). Dates are: Oct 12, Nov 9, Dec 14, Jan 11, Feb 8, Mar 8, Apr 12, May 10, Jun 14. Sign up here. Class limited to 20 participants. $345 for the 9 month series or $50 per class. Secure your spot now. or e-mail Marion with any questions.